Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Oh hey, it's May

I just realized that I hadn't posted at all this month. We are almost at mid-May. The past few weeks haven't been great, to be honest. We started working on getting our toddler to sleep through the night. With this neither my husband nor me have been sleeping well. He takes on night duty but gives the baby to me very early in the morning. I sleep pretty late by the time the house work is done and other kid is in bed. So in all, I don't get much sleep. Add in sleep deprivation for my husband in the day, and I am carrying an extra load there too.

Why are we still doing it? The only benefit we found is that toddler seems to be sleeping decently. He also doesn't need to be fed at night which is a big deal to me. My nursing cycle seems to have adjusted to this more or less. He also hasn't been complaining if my husband goes to him at night instead of me. So in all, maybe this is the best we can get with our kids being poor sleepers? I know, its the parents' fault and all that. But I guess this may be the best we can hope to achieve.

So that leaves us with some recovery to do. We are wondering what our nanny's return to work may look like, and when to safely do so in order for all parties to be comfortable with it. There's no good answer, and we've explored all the laws and benefits we may apply for as well. The short answer is that we need childcare at some point, so we can focus on our work and our health, but need to determine when we are willing to open ourselves up and her to that risk of resuming work. It all comes down to achieving that delicate balance between health, convenience and finances.

Mother's Day was nice. I got flowers from husband and daughter, and a little craft that she did. She sang me a song, we had ice cream together and played with the kids in the garden. Husband made a nice brunch of eggs, salad, toast and a dinner of thai curry chicken and rice. It was very special indeed.

Work awaits me, and I still have this big problem and question mark surrounding it on how I will take my career forward and whether I will be able to do so.

While I started off saying it hasn't been great, it has actually been quite alright. I haven't managed to do my daily yoga, which is why I might be feeling "off". We definitely had some good moments in there, including family walks, good weather, a few nights of good sleep in between and catching up with friends over the phone or video.

In other news, we had been enjoying Kraftwerk these past few days. My toddler got hooked to it, after I happened to play it one day. After a few days of listening to them on loop, we were sad to learn the news about Florian Schneider. I came across it in a post about Bowie, who was apparently good friends with them. We listened to Bowie's V-2 Schneider that evening to pay a tribute to both artists. Radioactivity is my toddler's current fave, and Autobahn seemed to be Bowie's. Such a mark some of these artists make on us. I first heard Kraftwerk at a magic show near my home in India when I was a teenager, where the magician did his thing to The Robot!

Gosh, now that I read these lyrics again, it is as if they were talking about Covid-19 here!

Radioactivity by Kraftwerk

Stop radioactivity
Is in the air for you and me
Stop radioactivity
Discovered by Madame Curie

Chain reaction and mutation
Contaminated population
Stop radioactivity
Is in the air for you and me

Radioactivity
Radioactivity

No comments:

Pinnacles National Park

 After living in California for over a decade, I recently went to Pinnacles National Park for the first time. Without knowing what to expect...