Thursday, March 12, 2020

Pandemic planning


I write this as an introvert, as someone who suffers from health anxiety, and as a germaphobe. All of those things were once seen as negative qualities and it sounds like I'm adding them as disclaimers. But they are actually my strength in these times. They are the very qualities that enable me to make the sensible and responsible choices required of us, with relative ease.

I can understand that it's hard for many to practice social isolation. It is probably hard for me too. But I believe very strongly that it is the missing piece to the puzzle and must be dealt with.

My family of four has been staying home since the beginning of this week. We are diligent hand washers and are very germ-conscious in any case. We double down during flu season, and not much has changed with our hygiene practices, to be honest. We have our own methods of social distancing and are now practicing them more aggressively.

I am wary of most indoor activities and gatherings during the winter. I dread every one that we go to a little bit, hoping that no one falls ill after them. I am actually relieved that more people are staying home now, and that the mass spread of germs is being contained to an extent. However the reason for them staying home is what is worrisome, and is looming over all of us: the rapid spread and severity of the coronavirus.

I am very concerned. Our county in the South Bay area has experienced a high community spread of the virus. We have to accept that we are being exposed to it everywhere we go. Grocery trips fill me with dread because we are exposing ourselves. I also feel that the advice against masks is misguided to an extent. If the virus lingers in the air, and we breathe in the same air hours later (after the infected person has long left the area), we still have a high chance of contracting it. Shouldn't a regular mask help to an extent? But we don't have any and are not looking to buy them now, since they are reserved for health care workers.

I wish schools would close already. And that people would stop going out. That trips can be cancelled. And family gatherings avoided. I wish all of this is implemented right away, and that within a month we are able to halt the spread.

We are worried about our parents who live overseas, their health issues and risks, and also travel restrictions and quarantines that may affect them or us. I am also skeptical that this is not of high risk to children. Since so much about this disease is unknown, how can medical professionals make this claim so confidently? What about the mid to long term ramifications of contracting the illness? Wouldn't it make sense to pull out all the stops to prevent children from being infected too? They have their whole lives ahead of them and need to be healthy through their developing years. And why aren't we more concerned about the misery that children and their caregivers go through if they do get sick? I strongly believe that we should accept all inconveniences before getting sick rather than after.

I still enjoy going out for walks in our neighborhood. The weather is very pleasant. I believe that getting lots of sunlight, fresh air and outdoor time is beneficial to our health and mental wellbeing. It helps us with our stress levels and to get well-rested sleep at night. The exercise itself is also a boost to our immune systems.  However, if even that is not advisable going forward, we will comply and try to get our fill of outdoor time in our backyard. Backyard time is important in any case. I like to sun myself for 10-15 minutes a day, walk barefoot on the grass, touch and put my arms around tree barks, and spend time around all the plants. I find it therapeutic and filled with positive energy. I also believe that "grounding" helps to remove the negative energy. Call me new-age or whatever; it works for me!

I sound privileged since we can work from home and our kids are young enough to stay home, but I have my own worries. I worry about the health of all of us. The health of our extended family. I have significant financial worries and job-related worries. I worry about our healthcare system breaking down. About the world around us and the economy. Our community. They are all pretty significant and are weighing on my mind.

Signing out..

No comments:

Pinnacles National Park

 After living in California for over a decade, I recently went to Pinnacles National Park for the first time. Without knowing what to expect...