Monday, June 29, 2020

And there we are, wrapping up June

As the month comes to an end, I realize how we've had shifting priorities throughout this time. I met a few milestones this month so I'll record them here - a work anniversary, a blogiversary and a few more such events.

The shift for us has been a heavy focus on work this month. As the county around us opened up and with people ever eager to go out and socialize, we have seen a steep climb in cases in the US. We are also quite worried about the cases in Bangalore and how the healthcare system is overwhelmed.

As an added layer comes all the discussions on racism and equity that are going on around us. In the mix is the political climate to contend with. Sometimes all of it feels like too much. Other times, there seems to be a ray of hope.

I felt a bit defeated and dejected this past weekend. At some level it feels pointless and like nothing will ever change. That we will continue to be where we are and things are getting progressively worse. That racism will always be there and even things like "equal pay" will apply only to the select few. I am worried about how the health crisis will unfold. It is all looking fairly grim at the moment.

For now, the only thing we can do is put our heads down and get to work. We can follow all the "best practices" for our health and keep going, building those skills while we have the time to do so. Knowledge is power and brings with it a certain amount of self confidence. And besides, focusing on work and learning serves as a small respite from the constant deluge of negative news around us.

On the bright side, I discovered Chapterhouse and it's been a breath of fresh air. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PsN_DfnHQU

Pearl - by Chapterhouse

Circle of color
Beautiful girl
Daughter of yellow
Mother of pearl

I used to know her
She gave me the time
Then she just left me
I thought she was mine

On my mind, liquid pearl
Coolest blue, fire world

But I can't seem to
Change her mind


No comments:

Pinnacles National Park

 After living in California for over a decade, I recently went to Pinnacles National Park for the first time. Without knowing what to expect...