Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Word of the year: Self-expression



Shoegazing Days is now about six months old!

I started this post a couple of days back, or last year if I am being technical. I am back here to finish writing it on January 1st. It has therefore seen the turn of the decade!

Since the past few years, I haven't really set myself a New Year's resolution. I started doing a word of the year in 2019 and my word was "intentional". I am an observer by nature, and tend to set standards based on what I observe about other people rather than being confident in my own choices. So for 2019, I decided to be intentional - about my choices, what I do, how I spend my time, and even about my appearance. This helped me to be able to be more comfortable in my own skin and feel self-assured. It helped me second-guess myself a little less.

For 2020, although I want to continue to be intentional since it serves me well, I would like a new word to live by. I decided that the word would be "expression", in the sense of "expressing myself". I have often been told that my drawbacks are that I am not visible enough. This is specifically at work, where I am at a stage in my career that I would like to step into leadership. While I believe that one does not have to be an extrovert to be a good leader (and that an introvert has significant advantages), it does help to be a bit more vocal than I am, to show myself and my work off a bit more, and to promote my thoughts and the way I think rather than keeping it all to myself.

I am probably going to flounder a bit through this process. I spent all of Monday on Facebook, updating and getting a feel for how things had evolved since I last was on it several years ago. I am trying to reconcile all of that lost time spent on social media that day. I am not quite sure whether what I did was a good idea. It was so nice living in my safe little bubble. Being even slightly active on social media takes so.much.time. However, I will give myself credit for being brave enough to 'put myself out there' and reach out. For someone with anxiety, that is huge.

I'd like this form of self-expression to come more naturally to me, and to be able to take a step back when needed. As I write this, I realize that this is in fact the word I have been searching for. So allow me to rephrase myself: self-expression is my word for 2020.

Self-expression goals for 2020:

  • Write more in this blog
  • Work on the blog appearance and layout
  • Write blogs for my work - a goal of 4 blog posts for 2020
  • Write another white paper for my work
  • Spend a bit of time on social media: Facebook, LinkedIn
  • Get started on new social media: Twitter, Instagram
  • Create a repository on GitHub
  • Take a few courses: topics of interest are network programmability, leadership, creative writing
  • Practice singing in some fashion: vocals and vocal expression, enunciation
  • Be more bold with my appearance: colors, accessories (shoes/bag)
  • Read more: Yes this is the opposite of self-expression, but there needs to be a constant intake of new content for knowledge and growth
  • Reply-all more often: Stop shying away from doing this, and practice so it comes with ease
  • Speak up: Speak up when I talk to friends, family, acquaintances and colleagues
  • Sleep better and stay fit: To feel better and to become a stronger version of myself
  • Gain confidence: Anything that I can learn along the way to help with this, while staying grounded and centered
  • Don't overthink: Continue to think before I speak, but stop endlessly reviewing before hitting "Send"


My inspiration in this new venture is an icon - David Bowie

Bowie knew what self-expression was all about. He showed the world that he could stay authentic and continuously evolve. He was fearless, bold and unique. And express himself he did - through his music, his art, his appearance and his overall persona. He produced work that was nothing short of amazing. His music and lyrics have influenced every other art form there is today. And he appeared to do it all with ease and without trying to please anyone. While there can be no other like Bowie, we can look to him to inspire us to express ourselves better. "We can be heroes, just for one day."

No comments:

Pinnacles National Park

 After living in California for over a decade, I recently went to Pinnacles National Park for the first time. Without knowing what to expect...