Thursday, October 17, 2019

Health and happiness, writing and cars… and did I say Blancmange?


This week has had its share of ups and downs. It’s not been great, but we are still thankful for where we are because things are not too bad, and we are grateful for the abundance we have in our lives.

The downs have been health related and work related (what a surprise! /end sarcasm). One by one, our family has been falling like dominoes into the vortex of viral infections. Our dear family member was down with it and we were worrying about her health especially with the distance that separates us and the strong feelings that we have for each other. My husband caught an ear infection upon our return from Tahoe due to the change in altitude. My son was then down with a viral infection and I was soon to follow. My daughter has had a cough since a couple of weeks, and we are unsure about its origin. All of us are still grappling with our sore throats, coughs, runny noses, earaches, body pain and fevers. Sigh.

I have been doing daily affirmations to state that I am in good health. I affirm my ability to succeed at work at not be discouraged. I know that I am being the exactly the parent and person my family needs at this time. I think that is an important reminder to myself – Do not be discouraged! You can do it. Remember that you thrive in rough situations and have been able to come out of them.

This one isn’t something that is impossible to fix. It is tough and deserves to be given importance to be front and center in my mind. But it is not a lost cause or something that could break me. I have to remember all of that.

The dairy-free journey continues. I might have eaten dairy in my box lunch at work today. It was a chicken shawarma wrap that might have had yogurt in the sauce or have the meat marinated in yogurt, it is hard to say. My choice was between eating it and driving out to buy lunch which would have cost me my time, money and energy. I chose to eat it and put the meal aside as one of those exceptions I consciously allow myself.

In other news, our world is about to change next month with my husband starting a new job. I am sort of looking forward to it and terrified about it at the same time. I think he is too. I have to be a supportive spouse and partner and enable him (and us) to succeed. I think that the time is right. I hope the experience will be rewarding and positive. I want it to be the best move for him and for our family. He is one of my biggest role models in my career and I suppose I am invested in his success from that angle as well. I think (or rather, fervently hope) that Sheryl Crow was right: “A change would do you good”!

The rest of the year usually goes really fast. We’re already in mid-October, there are festivals like Diwali, Thanksgiving and Christmas round the corner. Add in new job, and we are likely going to be at the end of the year without noticing the time pass. I hope that my job situation and health is better by the time we are there and that something good comes my way.

Don’t tell me by Blancmange is playing in a loop in my head (and in my car) this week. When I parked my car at work today, I decided to play the song just one more time and sing it out loud. This is when my VP pulled up in his Porsche in front of me and witnessed my (silent to him) performance. Did I let that stop me? No, not quite. I took my time singing, not caring that he was able to see me, and then hopped out to say “Nice car!” to him. It was a cool car indeed. Just like the Maclaren that cut in front of me the other day. My appreciation of cars tends to win over other stuff these days. Oh well. Blah.

Don’t tell me by Blancmange
I'll stay with you until the end
I'll say you'll let me be your friend
I'll say you'll let me in the end
I just want to be your friend
How can I be sure you're breaking all the rules
How can I be sure I should be high above
I'll climb the mountain, reaching for the skies
And all too soon I jump the moon
and find I'm losing my mind
And don't tell me you're the howling wind
And don't tell me you're the moonlit star
And don't tell me you're the devil's friend
And don't tell me, no don't tell me
I've gone too far
I didn't hear you as you left my room last night
You turned your back on me
I didn't hear you as you left my room last night
Please return and set me free
I'll climb the mountain, reaching for the skies
And all too soon I jump the moon
and find the sun burns my eyes
And don't tell me you're the howling wind
And don't tell me you're the moonlit star
And don't tell me you're the devil's friend
And don't tell me, no don't tell me
I've gone too far
No no no...No no no...
I can't get a grip on...
I can't get a grip on...
I can't get a grip on... (you)
I can't get a grip on...
no no I can't get a grip on!
I'll say you'll let me in the end
I'll say you'll let me be your friend
I've maybe asked this once before
Don't you love me anymore



No comments:

Pinnacles National Park

 After living in California for over a decade, I recently went to Pinnacles National Park for the first time. Without knowing what to expect...